As the first nudge unit in the Japanese local government, Yokohama Behavioral insights and Design Team has been established by voluntary members from the Yokohama City government. Our goal is to increase citizens’ well-being by integrating ideas and methods of behavioral science into city policies.
YBiT is the only nudge unit in Japan appointed as “Nudge Ambassador” by Minister of the Environment in December 2019.
Yokohama City is located in the south of Tokyo Metropolitan Area and is one of the biggest local governments in Japan. With a population of 3.7 million, the city has always led Japanese government policy making in cooperation with various players, including national government, academia and international organizations.
One of the flagship projects is the Yokohama Smart City Project – with more than 30 leading energy-related companies and institutions, we have coordinated 17 projects. This includes the field experiment of RCT with 3,500 residents for energy-saving action using BI (Ito, Ida and Tanaka, 2016).
Based on our experience and sprit of innovation, we strive to solve policy problems by leveraging BI to every applicable city policy, not only in the field of climate change but also in public health and medical care and others.
KEY roles of YBIT
Toolkit in Japanese
*”EAST” is a registered trademark of Behavioural Insights Ltd.
Workshop and Capacity Building
- Monthly study group participated by public servants, academic researchers, and specialists from private companies
- Seminars and workshops for city staff
We work with behavioral scientists and specialists from:
Yokohama City University, Kyoto University, Osaka University, University of Chicago
May 24, 2019 – World Innovation Symposium for Human behavior (Japan’s Ministry of the Environment, Behavioral Sciences Team (BEST) and United Nations University Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability (UNU-IAS))
July 5, 2019 – Our member on web magazine
July 15, 2019 – Interviewed by Nikkei Newspaper
November 10, 2019 – Oral Session in Behavioral Economics @ The 13th Annual Conference of Association of Behavioral Economics and Finance, Japan
November 10, 2019 – Our members on Basic of Nudge by Dr Shusaku Sasaki
December 26, 2019 – Presentation in Japan Nudge Unit BEST meeting in Ministry of Environment, Appointed as Nudge Ambassador (in Japanese)
February 13, 2020 – Presentation in Japan Nudge Unit BEST meeting in Ministry of Environment as Nudge Ambassador (in Japanese)
Who we are
- Hirokazu Tsuda, Founder, Ministry of Finance
- Yuta Takahashi, Director, Health and Social Welfare Bureau
- Kohei Ohyama, Manager and Public Relations, Medical Care Bureau
- Dr Yukio Suzuki, Evaluation specialist, Medical Care Bureau & YCU
- Soshi Domae, Data specialist, Medical Care Bureau
- Junko Kasuga, Public Relations, Health and Social Welfare Bureau
- Dr Yuriko Yamamoto, Evaluation specialist, Health and Social Welfare Bureau & YCU
- Yusuke Takagi, BI Specialist, Waterworks Bureau
- Minami Nagasawa, Health and Social Welfare Bureau
- Koji Ikeya, BI Specialist, Finance Bureau
- Koki Tanabe, BI Specialist, Housing and Architecture Bureau
- Erika Fujitomi, BI Specialist, Health and Welfare Center
- Seitaro Kondo, Evaluation Specialist, Finance Bureau
- Kaichi Otsuka, BI Specialist, Waterworks Bureau
- Tomomi Kikuchi, Secretariat, Health and Social Welfare Bureau
Kazue Nagata, Secretariat, Health and Social Welfare Bureau