Yokohama Behavioral insights and design Team（YBiT）
As the first nudge unit in the Japanese local government, Yokohama Behavioral insights and Design Team has been established by voluntary members from the Yokohama City government. Our goal is to increase citizens’ well-being by integrating ideas and methods of behavioral science into city policies.
Yokohama City is located in the south of Tokyo Metropolitan Area and is one of the biggest local governments in Japan. With a population of 3.7 million, the city has always led Japanese government policy making in cooperation with various players, including national government, academia and international organizations.
One of the flagship projects is the Yokohama Smart City Project – with more than 30 leading energy-related companies and institutions, we have coordinated 17 projects. This includes the field experiment of RCT with 3,500 residents for energy-saving action using BI (Ito, Ida and Tanaka, 2016).
Based on our experience and sprit of innovation, we strive to solve policy problems by leveraging BI to every applicable city policy, not only in the field of climate change but also in public health and medical care and others.
KEY roles of YBIT
- Yuta Takahashi, BI Specialist, Health and Social Welfare Bureau
- Kaori Uetake, BI Specialist, Climate Change Policy Headquarters
- Yasuaki Konishi, Public Relations, Finance Bureau
- Kohei Ohyama, Manager and Public Relations, Medical Care Bureau
- Hirokazu Tsuda, Director, Finance Bureau
- Dr Yukio Suzuki, Evaluation specialist, Medical Care Bureau & YCU
- Soshi Domae, Data specialist, Medical Care Bureau
- Junko Kasuga, Public Relations, Health and Social Welfare Bureau